Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spring Break, Day 4

The final day of our spring break turned out to be pretty cool. The Coral Pink Sand Dunes are about 25 miles west of Kanab. We made it there early in the afternoon. The first thing Kaitlyn wanted to do was take of her sandals so she could feel the sand underneath her feet.
She absolutely loved it. She liked having her feet disappear and feeling the cool sand just under the top layer of sand. Jason was another story. He didn't want down at all. When I first got him to stand on the sand he wouldn't go anywhere. He wouldn't even walk on it. Eventually he grew to really like it.
We spent a couple hours playing in the sand. It's amazing how much it kept the kids entertained.
Kaitlyn got brave enough to let Doug bury her legs in the sand. She doesn't look to happy in the picture, but she really did like it. I think it's funny in this picture to see Jason in the background trying to be like Kaitlyn.
The kids would climb up and down a small dune that was nearby. Kaitlyn would walk down, but I guess it was a little intimidating for Jason because he would slide down the hill on his bum.
I'm so glad that my mom gave us the idea to go to the dunes. We all had so much fun. The kids played so hard that as soon as we started driving back to Kanab, the kids fell right to sleep. Playing in sand is hard work apparently. The only bad thing about playing in the dunes is that no matter how much you think you've gotten all the sand out, there's always more to find. We all had to take baths/showers to get most of the sand out. Then when we got home and I finished a load of laundry, I opened the dryer door, and out poured more sand. Not too much, but still. Word of advice, when trying to clean sand out of your clothes, don't forget to pour sand out of your pockets.
All in all, it was a great vacation. It was absolutely wonderful spending time with our family. The weather was perfect. Doug and I learned some more Utah history, and the kids seemed to have fun wherever they went. We also looked back and discovered that with all the sites and things that we saw, the only place we had to pay to get into was the state park. Not too shabby. I would definitely recommend St. George as a great spring break vacation spot. We we were able to see some basic things, but we know there was a lot more down there to do. It was just so great being together as a family.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You have me convinced! I wanna got St. George! I seriously love the pictures. I've never been to the dunes, not even the ones up in Rexburg (or around there) and I'm from Idaho. Hehe! Looks like you had a wonderful time!