Doug's spring break was last week. Instead of going somewhere exotic we decided to have a 'staycation' in Salt Lake City. We went up and stayed the night on Tuesday and Wednesday in a hotel with a swimming pool so we could take the kiddies swimming. In our room, the closet door was a full mirror. I think that it was Jason's favorite part. We couldn't keep him away from it.

Tuesday we also went to the Church history and art museum. It was pretty cool. We had to go through it really fast because of the kids, but the parts we saw were great!! They had a new exhibit just for kids there. It was called 'I am a child of God' and it lots of hands-on activities for kids. One of Kaitlyn's part was the pretend hospital nursery. They had a little doctor kit, so she was able to make sure all the babies were nice and healthy. It was a fun little exhibit, so I would recommend it. Plus, the museum is free. That's always a good thing.

The next day we went to Discovery Gateway. It's a museum for kids of all ages. I think Kaitlyn could have spent the whole day there. There was a little play house, gas station, farm, market, water play, and play area. And that was just the first floor. They even had a little area for Jason to play. I highly recommend it. They only problem was that it was super busy the day we went. There were a couple of school field trips there, but we had fun anyway. Just a little crazy.

Jason and Doug just before all the fun began.


This was the play area. It was just for kids 3 and under. So Kaitlyn was able to play and Jason had a little play area of his own. Yipee!

Kaitlyn checking for eggs under the chickens at the farm.

Climbing the rock wall.


This was the play gas station. Kaitlyn would pump some gas and fill the tires with air and then drive the little car. So cute. She did this over and over. With all the practice she got in, she'll be pumping the gas in our car in no time. :)

At the market. They had a little basket that the kids would fill with food then go to the check-out stand.

Upstairs at the museum there were other exhibits to play with. Who do you think is having more fun here?

Breaking news from Channel 5 ... The new anchors dish out the juicy news!


Checking out the Life Flight helicopter. This museum was so cool and I'm so glad we went. We took so many pictures that our camera ran out of batteries and we didn't pack the charger. So there aren't very many pictures of the rest of our trip. Oh well.
After spending hours at the children's museum, we took a break to have some lunch and see some other sites. We took an official tour of the Conference Center, which was great because the only times I have gone there have been for Conference and I never get a chance just to look around at all the beautiful things there. In addition to the art that is always there, currently there's an art exhibit going on. Kaitlyn's favorite part ... riding on the escalator. Go figure! After that we went to the Clark Planetarium. We decided to go see an IMAX movie. This one was an underwater film in 3D. The best part was watching Kaitlyn's reaction to the 3D. All throughout the movie she would reach out and try to touch the things coming toward her. One part of the movie has a fish jumping out trying to eat another fish. Kaitlyn jumped back and said, "It tried to eat me!" Hilarious!

This is Jason checking out the Moon rocks at the Planetarium. After the fun filled day we went back to the hotel for more swimming and fun. The next day we checked out of our hotel and headed home. On the way we went to the Living Aquarium in Sandy. It was super busy there, but it was fun seeing the fish and other animals. I thought the best things were the jelly fish and sharks. It was pretty cool, but I think it was a tad overpriced.
I guess the last exciting thing we did on our 'staycation' was miniature golfing and riding the go-carts at Trafalga. Woohoo!


That's pretty much our whole vacation. It was soooo much fun!!! Even though we didn't travel far, or see some grand national park or anything, it was so nice just spending time with our little family.
6 comments:
Oh my gosh, that looks like SO MUCH FUN!!! I've never heard of that Discovery museum at the Gateway. I'm totally gonna have to go there!! Kya'd be in heaven!! Ya, the aquarium is a bit pricy, so I've only been once, but I need to take the kids again sometime. Have you taken Kaitlyn to the Dino Museum at Thanksgiving Point? Kya LOVES that! That'd be fun to try together this week or whenever you're free! :)
that was another great post!. thanks for a great week of fun!
Sounds like you guys had a blast over Easter and spring break. I love all the posts. What a great idea to stick around but get away all at the same time.
That is so cool to do a staycation. and i agree...hanging out with the family is the best. even going out to the backyard on a picnic would be awesome! except for the bugs and annoying dog behind us. ha ha. I think we should take a gander over at the gateway sometime. it looks so flippin' cool!!!
Looks like tons of fun! I wish we had a museum like that here, that looks great!
Looks like you guys had a blast!
Post a Comment