Friday, October 17, 2008

Grandma Willard

My grandmother Lucille Willard passed away yesterday morning. She was just recently diagnosed with cancer, but it was still quite sudden. I'm, of course, very saddened about it and wanted to write down a few memories about her before life gets busy for me again. Some of my fondest memories include spending the summer with her in California as a child, getting homemade dresses for Christmas, and sitting around her kitchen table enjoying homemade bread and jam. My grandmother was such an example to me. She knew the scriptures and doctrine of the church better than almost anyone I know. That probably comes from the years she spent teaching seminary. She attended the temple regularly even though the nearest temple in Boise was two hours away. She was so excited to hear about the Twin Falls temple being built and was blessed to be able to go through one session before she passed away. She had family home evening every Monday even after my grandfather died and she was all alone. And the most important thing was that I always knew that she loved me. I am grateful that Kaitlyn was able to know her a little bit, and saddened that Jason won't know her in this life. Her passing makes me so happy that I know the families are forever and that I'll see her again.
Her she is with my parents. She was my mother's mom. I think my mom gets a lot of her strength from my grandma.

5 comments:

Meghan Kopp said...

I will certainly miss the homemade bread and jam...... no one makes jam like Grandma did! I'm greatful that Christian was at least able to meet her, and visit with her a few times, even if he doesn't remember.....

Doug said...

I will miss Grandma Willard too!

Margaret said...

I'm sorry Mel. Grandma's really are the best sort of woman out there. They've lived a good life with lots to teach everyone. You're memories of her made me think of my own grandma.

Jen said...

What a sweet post! My heart goes out to you and your family.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry Mel. I, too, am grateful that families are forever.