Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Grandma Ruth Annabelle Walker











On Sunday Feb. 22, 2009 at 6:21 PM my wonderful grandma passed from this side of the veil to the other side of the veil surrounded by her loved ones in her own home.  I had the blessing to stay with her and take care of her the last night she spent in this life.  There in the early hours of the night she uttered her last "I love you" to her daughter Becky on the phone in Missouri.  And she told my cousin Kim and I that she "loves us all".  This wonderful lady led an amazing life.  She gave everything she had to others around her.  Many years she lived with pain, but never complained "why me".  She fought through the pain so that she could be there for all of us.  In fact, she had to watch her eternal companion pass away six years ago and her oldest daughter pass away two and half years ago.  For me she took the place of my mother who was her oldest daughter.  She took the place as grandma for my children.  She has always been there for me.

I remember a Christmas Eve in 2000 when my mother was gone to AZ. visiting my sister.  I was living with roommates and they all were going back home for Christmas.  So I told grandma that I was going to spend Christmas Eve with her and spend the night so she wasn't alone.  This would have been her first Christmas Eve alone since her husband was in a nursing home.  We stayed up playing skip-bo and read the Christmas story found in Luke 2.  In the morning she made me breakfast and we exchange gifts with each other, just the two of us.  I remember falling asleep that night with tears of joy knowing that my grandma was there for me in my time of loneliness.

I had those same tears of joy as I knew I was there for my grandma last Saturday night in her time of loneliness.  I have been truly blessed by having the chance to rub shoulders with my grandma.  She has provided me with many acts of kindness and I know my acts of kindness could never out numbered hers.  I do know that she was aware of my acts of kindness because she acknowledge them every time without fail.  Ruth will be missed by many people greatly.  I will be numbered among those many people.  I love you, Grandma

6 comments:

Natalie said...

What a wonderful grandma you had Doug. I am so sorry that she is gone. We have all been thinking of you lots this week. Good luck with everything.

J and M Lloyd, est. 2004 said...

Oh Doug, I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear about it. I remember you telling me several stories about her so I know she meant a lot to you. Your tribute was very touching. I'll pray for you and your family.

Jessica said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Grandma, Doug. She looked like such a fun and wonderful person! I know you'll miss her but thank goodness of eternal families. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jen said...

My prayers are with you Doug! What a wonderfully written tribute to your sweet grandma! I'm so sorry I wasn't able to make it to the funeral, but glad Gary is there. Love you all!

Margaret said...

What a beautiful tribute. She is a very happy and joyful person by looking at her smiles. I'm sorry for your loss and am praying and thinking about you.

Jon and Kim said...

Doug (and family),
You are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. I know that your grandma meant the world to you. I have enjoyed getting to know here through your stories. She was a wonderful woman. Her legacy lives on through her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.