Sunday, February 8, 2009

Attitude of Gratitude (Beware It's a Long Post)

Do you ever have one of those nights, when you can’t go to sleep because you have so many thoughts running through your head? That was me tonight. I just couldn’t turn my brain off. I started thinking about something that’s been going around Facebook called, ’25 Random Things About Me,’ and what I would write about if I actually did it. Then I thought, there’s not very many cool things about me, not to mention 25. Then I remembered this blog I visited lately that talked about these cute little baby girls that had gone through cancer and another disease that required brain surgery. Reading what their moms wrote really got me thinking. I actually have a great life! Why do I complain so much about trivial things that in the grand scheme of things don’t really matter. I need to be more grateful for what I do have. So in putting together ’25 Random Things’ and thinking about being more grateful, here’s a list of ’15 Random Things I’m Grateful For’, not in any particular order (I’m pretty sure that I could do more, but it’s late, and this is getting pretty lengthy anyway).
1. I have a great husband who loves me. Who starts giving me little Valentine gifts on January 29th. He calls it 17 Days of Valentines (17 being his favorite number). Who forces me to go shopping for myself and actually goes with me to the mall while taking care of the kids. Who is such a hard worker and good provider. Who loves to help other people. Who makes me laugh almost every day. I am so grateful for him and for the love and support he gives me.
2. I’m grateful for two healthy and happy kids. They bring me joy everyday.
3. My daughter Kaitlyn is such a sweetheart. She’ll hug me and says she loves me out of the blue. When someone asked her who her hero was, she said, ‘My Mom’. Sigh. She tries to tell Knock Knock jokes to try and get a laugh, but mostly doesn’t make sense. Kaitlyn usually reminds me (a lot of the times when she’s in trouble) that ‘I’ve got to be happy’. I’m so grateful for her.
4. My son Jason. He’s got the brightest eyes when he smiles at me. And his dimples are so cute. I love it when I feed him and he looks up at me and reaches for my face.
5. I’m grateful that I actually have kids. Some people aren’t that lucky. Sometimes I complain about them having an attitude, or that I have to get up in the middle of the night to take care of them. I know there are some out there that would love to get up at 2:30 in the morning to comfort and rock a sick baby back to sleep. Or put a child in time out for the 3rd time that day. I’m blessed.
6. I’m so glad that my parents live close to me. I don’t know what I would do without them. They’ve helped and comforted me through so many trials throughout my life. They’ve given me good advice or just listened. My husband’s parents already passed away, so I’m lucky and grateful that my parents are still alive. And my siblings are awesome!!! I realize that I’m lucky that we all get along together. Well, except in a hard core game of nertz.
7. I’m grateful I have a home to live in.
8. My husband has a good job that has security. I’m especially grateful for that in these uncertain economic times.
9. We have enough food to eat (maybe too much).
10. I’m grateful that I have my health. There were some times when I wondered if I would be able to take care of my kids the way I wanted to. Luckily I’ve been blessed that I’m healthy and am able to do the things I want. I need to take better care of myself so that doesn’t change.
11. I am thankful for mountains. I was thinking the other day that I’ve never lived in a place where hasn’t been mountains. Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, and Utah. I can look out the window and see them as the last little bit of sunshine illuminates them and they turn a beautiful shade of pink.
12. In general we live in a beautiful world. The fog has been bad in the mornings here and it looks really yucky, but because of the fog, frost clings to every branch on the trees and bushes. It’s just gorgeous.
13. I’m grateful for Saturday morning showers. During the week I’m always in a rush to just hop in and out, and sometimes I have to really think about if I washed my hair while I was in the shower, or if I skipped that step. On Saturdays though, I don’t have to worry if the kids are awake yet or crying because Doug’s there to help them. I think I learned to appreciate long, hot showers while on an archaeology dig in central Utah. A timed shower in a state park was the closest thing to heaven.
14. I’m glad I was able to serve a mission. Some of that greatest experiences happened to me while serving the Lord. Those were wonderful times and I cherish them. I learned so much from the people I met there.
15. Lastly, I’m so grateful for my knowledge and testimony of Jesus Christ. Through good times and bad, knowing that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love me makes me happy. I need to always remember that and continue to show my gratitude for blessings in my life.

5 comments:

Doug said...

That was much better than facebooks 25 things...I am grateful for your husband as well. Seems like a great catch.

Our Forever Family said...

We are grateful for you!!!!

Margaret said...

I agree with Doug, this was better than the 25 random things. You are blessed. I'm glad I know you.

Jen said...

This was SO much better than the 25 random things (although there is 25 things and many many more that are AWESOME about you!). Thanks for this. I needed a reality check and a reminder of how blessed we all are! You are incredible Mel!

Jessica said...

Doug is so funny. I enjoyed reading about what you are so grateful for. I'm really grateful for you too. That blog made me cry too about those two little girls. I can't and don't want to imagine what they are all going through. Makes me reflect on how blessed I am too. Thanks for those 15 things. Like everyone said, even better than the 25.